CITIZENS OF ZION MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH had its beginning May 10, 1945, as a prayer Band of about ten people meeting in various homes in Watts, California. On July 6, 1946, she was officially organized as the 103rd Street Missionary Baptist Church, under the leadership of Rev. Hobson Lewis who pastored for three years; his final words were “Children Stick together and keep the church together.”
The 103rd Street Baptist Church pastors that followed Rev. Hobson Lewis were Rev. Jacob Hawkins, Rev. N.F. Fisher, who relocated the church to 2056 E. 103rd Street, Los Angeles, CA, and Rev. B.T. Newman who served faithfully for 48 years.
On December 5, 1971, under the leadership of Pastor B.T. Newman, the church was relocated to 400 South Santa Fe Ave, Compton, CA. Prior to moving the church name was changed to Citizens of Zion Missionary Baptist Church, also known by CZ.
The church flourished and tremendous growth broadened the organizational structure. Ministries were added and an expansion of membership and progress in the church continued. Soon the need for an even larger facility was necessary to accommodate this church family. On December 4, 1983 another move was made to her present location, 12930 South Lime Avenue, Compton, CA.
In 2008 Pastor B. T. Newman announced his plan to retire, and the church began its search for a successor. In November of 2010, Rev. Bobby Newman, Jr. was elected Executive Pastor of Citizens of Zion Baptist Church, succeeding his father in the ministry. He was formally installed as Sr. Pastor in January 2011. Under his leadership CZ has continued to grow in all aspects.
Honoring the words of her first pastor Rev. Hobson Lewis “Children Stick together and keep the church together,” December of 2020 CZ celebrates 75 years of Christian fellowship. The vision for Citizens of Zion and its future is bright as we continue to grow knowing “We are Helpless without Christ, Powerless without His Spirit and Unarmed without His Word!”